Monday 30 September 2013

Ma Vie Quotidienne

'My Daily Life'

Here's an update of my weekend and my everyday life :)

In the Mountains: Les Pyrénées


This weekend my host family and I went to go have lunch at their grandparent's house in a village in the middle of the mountains. These are the mountains I see everyday as I go to school, it was so cool actually be surrounded by them and witness how truly large they are!
My host family informed me of a flooding in June this year due to a HUGE amount of rainfall in the mountains. The water flowed down the mountains and collected as one big flash flood which tore through some small mountain villages. Only having a small stream running through these villages, they were not prepared for a Tsunami-like amount of water. This resulted in the stream enlarging so much that roads were broken, houses were torn apart and rubbish and stones scattered for miles across the once beautiful countryside. It was really sad to see but work is slowly being done to fix the damage.

On the way back to Hiis we drove up one of the mountains and around a ski field (I thought of you mum and how much you hate driving up to ski fields haha). Apparently I'l be going skiing in winter, so excited!!!

On Saturday night I had my first French party!! It was in the 'Salle de Fêtes' of a village nearby called Loucrup.
A 'Salle de Fêtes' is a party house, there is one in every village here! Just French culture I guess.. ;)
I had an awesome time, so many people were really intrigued about New Zealand and were attempting to speak English, it was so funny!
 



School: Lycée Victor Duruy

Everyday I begin school at 8am, that's something that I can easily say I don't like. Tomorrow I will begin catching the bus every morning at 7:15am, for those of you who know me well.. you know I'm not a morning person! So I don't know how I'm going to cope with that, maybe i'll have to stop going on Facebook late at night..

The subjects I take are Mathematics, History, Geography, Economics, Spanish, Philosophy, English (my favourite!) and Sports.
This is very different for me as in New Zealand I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, Calculus and English. I have never taken Spanish before, so beginning it in French is crazy!
We often have 2 hours of some subjects such as Philosophy, Economics and History/Geography. These are the very 'wordy' subjects so I really struggle to keep concentration and actually try to understand the lesson. Lately when i'm feeling like i'm about to fall asleep, which is very often, I begin writing letters to my friends and family in New Zealand. (I'll send them soon!)
I've made some friends at school who I feel really comfortable around already. I was so happy that on my first day I didn't have to awkwardly go sit by myself at lunchtime! (haha sorry Georgia your prediction was wrong). Instead, two groups invited me to sit with them who I've gotten to know since, they're awesome! Something I like about Lycée Victor Duruy is that almost everyone is friends with everyone, there are no real 'groups' that don't communicate with others. So i'm beginning to know many different people who aren't even in my classes :)


It's funny being the only Exchange Student in the school. When people know who you are they are really intrigued and friendly. New Zealand seems like such an exotic place to them, and i'm beginning to view it differently too. It really is a good country, an amazing country. With having a smaller population it has such an advantage I believe, and we are able to keep it clean and looking beautiful. I really can't wait to see the New Zealand environment again- Central Otago, Fiordland, and most of all Taieri Mouth. It's my most favourite place on Earth.

Apart from with a few people at school who speak English well, I hardly ever get to have a decent conversation. I see people laughing hard (something I don't get to experience much because I don't get the joke) and I wish I could join in! But as my host family keep telling me, by Christmas time I will be fluent in French. Although in order for this to happen I know I need to try harder.. more days where I'm exhausted await me!


Until next time,Au Revoir! xx

Driving towards the mountains



A cultural dance in a small village

A DOG! I miss my dog in New Zealand so much, it was really nice to finally see a dog over here!


Damage

The stream ruined


Up by the ski field, this was all I could see downward.. whilst knowing it was a cliff!





Creepy cultural dolls in a mountain village, they had them all over the place

The same village as the dolls, why so much creepy stuff?

2 comments:

  1. man that last pic looks like a de-mentor off harry potter. I think it is hogsmeade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! Haha but no not quite as cool as hogsmeade!

      Delete