Monday 30 September 2013

Saint Jean De Luz

I spent 2 weekends ago in Saint Jean De Luz, a very touristic city part of the Basque province in south- west France. We left on Friday and it took us just under 2 hours to get there. After finding the camping ground (which had a pool!) we went into the centre to have a look around. Once I stepped foot into the mall area oh my goodness it hit me that I was in France! All of the small streets with cute little shops, and the buildings! They were beautiful, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Loany (one of my host sisters) and I walked around the streets for hours, just mesmerized by it all. I bought a ring for 3 Euros (was pretty excited about that) and Loany told me about 'Churros' which I didn't try until the next day.. they're like a waffle but a stick shape. wow, I'll just say you must try them yourself, so good! 

After walking around for a long time, window shopping in really expensive clothing and shoe stores, we made our way to the beach. I hadn't seen the ocean or beach since I had left Taieri Mouth about 3 weeks earlier, so I was feeling like I was a little deprived (as I grew up right beside the ocean!) haha. After walking around the narrow streets then to walk up another tiny street and step onto a path which overlooked the vast Atlantic Ocean was breathtaking. You may be thinking it's just a beach, but to me it was really a highlight of my weekend to see such an amazing part of nature again.
Over the next two days we went between the beach and the shops so many times I began to know my way around. Sunbathing and swimming in 33 degrees Celsius, and Loany and I decided to go board paddling (not sure of the name). But it involved both of us floating around on a huge, almost twice the length of me, board with a paddle. This was really fun, we formed a great team as she would paddle with her arms at the front for speed and I would stand up behind her with the paddle to help turn. We tried for so long to go into the waves however they kept moving away from us, that was a little sad haha. There were some men doing this too, but solo. They were really good, taking on the waves but not always succeeding in staying on their board! As Loany and I would shreak with a small wave underneath us, they would look at us and laugh :P

I had a REALLY good weekend there, it was really cool to see another part of French culture. All of the buildings are different to here where I am living. For example, most of the roofs are an orange colour and the outer walls are white. Here the roofs are black and the walls are made of stone.

A cute shop


Streets


The buildings are so cool




Warf

Heading towards the beach


A family friend, me, Loany



The pool!

At the camping ground

Paddling!

Yay Churros!

The beach!

Amazing view of the Atlantic Ocean

If you keep following this coast you'll get to Spain :D

Sunset on the way home


No comments:

Post a Comment